Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Fudge

This is another heirloom recipe.  Something my family has been making for as long as I can remember...meaning more than 50 years.  I remember as a young lass sleeping in an upstairs sparest of bedrooms, just off the dearest of non-scary attics, realizing that my mother stored her beloved fudge in a wonderful gold and white fruitcake tin in said attic.  I don't know how many years I stole and enjoyed this fudge covertly.  Just suffice it to say it happened multiple times.  And my mother was a wonder of housekeeping and bookkeeping.  Which means I was an equal wonder of cover theft (or else my mum just forgave me and moved on, but that's neither here nor there).

Christmas Fudge

In a large pot (or bowl) break up and mix:

12 oz german (sweet) chocolate
12 oz semi sweet chocolate (just use chips)
1 pt. marshmallow fluff
2 cups chopped nut meats

You'll need a strong arm, or a willing fella.  Which makes this a very romantic Christmas recipe.



So while you're strong-arming that in a bowl, the more delicate of the pair shall do the following:

In a heavy saucepan, mix and then boil:

2 Tlb. butter
1 13 oz. can evaporated milk
4 1/2 c. sugar
1 pinch salt

Just stir it up, bring it to a bubble, and stir it for 6 full minutes (at the full bubble).  When it's all done, pour it into the chocolate/marshmallow mixture and strongarm it once again:





So strong arm it all together, and push it into a nice big pan.  This makes a wonderful amount of fudge...more than enough for a family, but never enough to share. We sent all of our first batch with soldier packages.   We've got some post Christmas soldier packages to send out, and even so, there's plenty of good, mellow, creamy sweet fudgy goodness for everyone.

To me, if there is fresh fudge, it MUST be Christmas!

No comments: