Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

All Good Things Must Come To An End

It is with a somewhat sorry, but seriously excited heart that I write this post.  We have decided to sell The Haney Place and find a place outside of the city with a little more land and a lot more potential.  Don't get me wrong, urban homesteading has been a very good thing.  A colleague did me a real favor at work yesterday.  She didn't have to, and I wouldn't have even known otherwise, but she did it, and I truly appreciated it.  So my hens sent her a dozen eggs.  You can't buy that kind of neighborliness, it's just a gift.  Even so, it's just time.  This blog has struggled for a while because I have struggled because hey, there is just so much to say about "living in the city, fed the chickens, dogs, cats, cleaned up poop, spread poop in garden" that we could do.  We adore the hens, dogs and cats, but we need to spread our wings.  We would love the opportunity to raise a cow, a horse, a goat or two, make our own soap (not just the laundry detergent we make here but real soap from goat's milk (like you have too much and you can't waste that precious goat's milk and you already made enough cheese, so we'll make soap).

So my first order of business is washing and dressing windows.  Which touches my heart...I spent more than a little bit of time researching, purchasing, searching for vintage and making dressings for the windows here.  I took a survey just now -- there are a total of 23 windows in The Haney Place (not counting doors).  And I have lovingly dressed many of them....I would love to share the historical research I did, the period curtains I searched, considered, purchased.  This Haney Place is market priced, but does anyone really consider the life and love of a home...some of my childhood/facebook friends can recall the criss-cross curtain discussion.  I never did find a criss-cross curtain or a pattern, but I still did dress the windows with love.  A few photos:


It's night and I'm tired.  I know my photographic skills are limited.  That second picture is a gorgeous antique lace that we found at a thrift store.  It has been so happy here - Specifically in the "Amish Room".  We've named every room here.  Oh yes, it's going to be hard to say good-bye to this place.

Tomorrow we'll travel to Argyle for a side of beef.  I know, we're moving.  We'll move the beef with us, when the time comes.  After all, these goggies need their meaty bones!  After that, I'll come home and polish all these hardwood floors and post more pictures.

Yes, it's going to be hard to leave this Haney Place.

No comments: