Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Regarding Babies...and Dust...and Such....

I shared this with a friend tonight....and it brought back such wonderful memories.  I've got lots of firsthand knowledge of babies, but of course, no two babies are the same, and no knowledge of any one baby gives one the right to assume they know about babies.  Babies are something else.  They change your entire world.  Everything you think is important is either still important and elusive, or else it's not so important any more.  At any rate, there is no denying that babies, human or otherwise, change our lives forever.  Someone shared this poem with me when I had three babies in diapers.  I took it to heart, and I believe it's as true today as the day it was written, and the day that author was born, and her mother was born, and her mother was born, and...well, you get the idea...To my  mind, it just proves the greatness of God....

Song For a Fith Child, by Ruth Hamilton. 1958



Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth

empty the dustpan, poison the moth,

hang out the washing and butter the bread,

sew on a button and make up a bed.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?

She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.



Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue

(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

Dishes are waiting and bills are past due

(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).

The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew

and out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo

but I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.

Look! Aren’t her eyes the most wonderful hue?

(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).



The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,

for children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.

So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.

I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

No comments: