Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Zippy Chicken

OK - I know that's a lame title, but that's just what it was.  Tasty, zippy chicken.  If I did it again (and I will) it would be just a little bit zippier (a little more red pepper flakes).  But it was so good, and the leftovers are my lunch for tomorrow.  Yummy!!!!  And cheap eats.  I'm guessing dinner for two with leftovers for lunch -- under $5.  Good stuff!

Big Steve and I started low-carbing a week or two ago.  We've both lost several pounds already.  But we had reached a crisis stage.  You see, we had a wonderful houseguest for the summer who ate neither beef nor pork.  No problem, we adore chicken and meatless meals.  So we had chicken this and chicken that during the summer.  I enjoyed it, but Big Steve is a red meat kind of guy.  So he got a bit overdosed on chicken and a bit underdosed on red meat.  So for the past two weeks it has been red meat this and red meat that.  Honestly, I was just about to puke red meat two days ago.

So..............yesterday we had awesome shrimp and the last of the green beans  from the garden.  But for tonight, I took some so-so looking drumsticks from the freezer and wondered what to do with them.  I wanted something with a soy sauce base. 

Enter zippy chicken!  (And mashed faux-potatoes...low carb yumminess!!!)






So here we go - and it couldn't be easier.

Put your chicken parts in a baking pan - the smallest pan you can make them fit in.  Then pour over a "zippy" sauce.  Tonight our sauce consisted of:

  • Lemon juice
  • Soy sauce (we always use Bragg's Liquid Aminos)
  • Olive oil
  • Whatever seasonings you like - we used sea salt, fresh ground pepper, red pepper flakes and granulated garlic.
Mix the sauce and pour it over the chicken.  Bake in a slow oven (325) for about an hour, then turn them over and bump it up (we bumped it to 375 on convection, or 400 for non-convection ) for another 20 mins.

Take it out of the oven and ENJOY!!!

For the mashed faux-tatoes, we steamed a head of cauliflower, and then drained it and mashed it like potatoes.  We added butter, cream cheese, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, shredded cheddar and fresh garlic.  Wow - so yummy!  I'm definitely going to scrape the pan when I go out there and clean the kitchen as soon as I hit "publish" tonight.

Enjoy!!!!!  Who says scrumptious can't be really easy and really cheap????

No comments: