Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2009

A really, really productive day!

Stiva and I had the most productive day.  I did a TON of marketing this morning, then washed sheets and hung them out in the whipping wind.  I mean, seriously whipping!!  I made a whole mess of meatballs for the freezer, and Stiva finished the last of the flooring upstairs, the main hall.  Now it doesn't look like freshly sanded wood, but like the finely finished hardwood floor that it is.  Then he proceeded to pick a TON of collard greens out of our still barely producing garden.  I can't believe that it is almost November, and we are still harvesting the garden.  You can see the bucket and chair that have been overturned by the strong wind!



So, having simmered a ham, I am just about to make collard greens Mama's Way from this month's Southern Living Magazine:

12 hickory smoked bacon slices, finely chopped
2 medium size sweet onions, finely chopped
3/4 lb. smoked ham, chopped
3 32 oz. continers chicken broth (or homemade, like I am using)
3 1lb. packages fresh collard greens, washed and trimmed (or freshly picked, as I am using)
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1 T sugar
1 t. salt
3/4 t. pepper

Cook the bacon in 10-qt. stockpot over med. heat 10-12 minutes, or until almost crisp.  Add onion, and saute 8 minutes.  Add ham & garlic, and saute 1 minute.  Stir in broth and remaining incredients   Cook 2 hours, or to desired degree of tenderness.

Not liking to do anything in a small way, I am going to cook the ginormous bag o' collard greens in like fashion, and freeze the excess for the winter:



I'll try to post a picture of the finished product!

No comments: