Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Out of the mouths of puppies

It's no secret that I have a seriously elderly dog named Theo.  He has been a blessing to me in so many ways.  Firstly, he laid down his life for me in a real way in his offer of protection of me and my home right from the first day he came to stay.  You see, he had been in a bad way for a long time.  I had recently experienced a stalker.  The good Lord brought us together.  We needed each other.  We were both (just a little bit) crazy with this whole security thing.

Theo has epitomized what it means to me to be a Christian.  I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he would break through any barrier, even death, to be at my side.  Isn't that how we, as Christians, should look at our deaths?  I mean, the process of death may not be pleasant or easy.  I strongly suspect that the process of birth was not pleasant or easy for any of us, but the good Lord has mercy on us and we don't remember that whole process. 

But on to today...if Theo heard my voice at the other side of a door, any door, he wouldn't hesitate.  No matter what his condition, no matter how rotten he felt, he would know there was that joy of love and reunion on the other side of that door.  He could knock that door down.  He would scratch, bite, or do whatever he had to do to get to me, on that other side.

How much the same it is that we, as Christians, should look upon death.  It is NOT the end, not a cold grave, not if we KNOW who is on the other side of that door.  We should gleefully knock down that door, not fear it, not turn from it.  We (hopefully) know what is on that other side, and if we really know, we will welcome it.  No fear, no worries.  Pain?  I don't know.  Maybe.  But joy?????  Yes!!!  Just like the reunion of Theo and me, so would the reunion be of me and my Savior.  Safety and glory at last. 

Just what is filling my mind on this bleak, but blessed, December day.

No comments: