Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter - The Haney Menu And a Few Recipes

Even without the significance of the day today, the day itself was a gift.  A gorgeous Spring day -- I think it was in the 60's even.  And I saw the first violets opened up in the yard.  My absolute favorite flowers.  They made me feel like living again!

It was hectic here today; we hosted a brunch for one gaggle of family members and dinner for another gaggle.  We were also blessed to have a dear friend of the family share our Easter celebration.

Brunch was: 

Later, dinner was:
  • Simmered Ham
  • Green Bean Casserole ( My daughter Stephanie NEEDS this dish!)
  • Scalloped Potatoes
  • Hard Boiled Eggs
  • Haney Made Horseradish
  • Asparagus roasted w/garlic
  • Babka
  • Raspberry Topped Cheesecake
Here is a montage of yesterday's preparations for today.  It's going to take me a little while to put that babka tutorial together -- perhaps a week or two.  But it will be worth it.  It's a treasured family recipe - I remember helping my mother to follow my little Polish grandmother around, measuring out her handfuls of this and pinches of that, for that is how she baked.  And her babka was the best - I can't completely replicate it.  But I'm told it's very, very close.  So I'm content with that.




You will note that Calvin is in the first shot.  This is because, although he is new to us, he has already made a decision to be a Polish cat for Easter and truly enjoy kielbasa.  If you know us, you know that this little guy has turned out to be a real chow hound.  I wasn't sure how he would feel about the kielbasa...but did I even need to wonder?????

Please also note the egg tree -- my dear father (long since deceased) selected that branch years and years ago just for this purpose. I have tried to take good care of it from year to year. Some of those eggs are store-bought -- some are eggs that my own mother decorated way back when I was a little girl. So that was way back in the dark ages!  Next Easter we'll make a project of crafting some new homemade eggs for this tree.  Store bought is nice, but I would love to replace the hand-made ones that have broken over the years.

We pray that all of our friends had as blessed a weekend as we have had here.  Now here it is not even 7:00 pm, company is gone, the house is all tidy, and already we're trying to get ready for work tomorrow.  Whew!!!!

No comments: