Pastry for double crust pie
6 cups thinly siced cooking apples (2 lbs)
1 tlb lemon juice
1 cup sugar
2 tlb all-purpose flour
1/2 to 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Dash ground nutmeg
1 tlb butter or margarine
- Prepare & roll out pastry line a 9" pie plate with half of the pastry. Trim pastry to edge of pie plate.
- In mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg (for a very juicy pie, omit the flour).
- Add sugar mixture to the sliced apples. Toss to mix.
- Fill pastry lined pie plate with apple mixture; dot with butter or margarine. Cut slits in top crust for escape of steam; place pastry atop filling. Seal and flute edge.
- Sprinkle some sugar atop, if desired. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake i 375 oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or till crust is golden. Col pie on rack. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
I can't eat it (not gluten free) and I don't care. BH&G rocks when it comes to somewhat vintage baking recipes. Just looky here: